The Best Burger Ever: Recipe by Chef John Howie
Nothing says Summer like a good old-fashioned burger grilled in your own backyard. Elevate your burger expertise with this recipe by Chef John Howie. Trust us, you’ll want to bookmark this page!
Chef John Howie walks us through step-by-step instructions on how to make the best burger ever. Impress your guests and family with this twist on a timeless classic. Learn his tips and tricks by watching the video. Warning: watching this video will have you running to the grocery store for ingredients.
“You’re going to love it” – Chef John Howie
Before you get started read through this blog, so you are fully prepared with all ingredients. The trick is in the flavoring; see below for the ingredient lists and instructions for two key elements to make your burger taste restaurant-level good.
Starting with the Burger Baste which gets brushed onto each side of your patty.
Chef John Howie’s Burger Baste
Yields 1 cup
- Tabasco 1 ½ tsp.
- Worcestershire Sauce ¾ cup
- Organic Tamari "Gluten Free Soy Sauce" - San-J Brand ¾ cup
- Black Pepper 1 Tbsp.
- Salt – kosher 2 Tbsp.
- Garlic - granulated 1 Tbsp.
- Combine and bring all ingredients to a simmer in a sauce pot over a medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Cool, transfer and store refrigerated until needed.
After your burger is cooked, spread the delicious Roasted Onion Spread on the bun to give your burger the perfect complement in taste.
Chef John Howie’s Roasted Onion Spread
Yields 1 ½ cups
- Mayonnaise 1 cup
- Black Pepper - fine ground ½ tsp.
- Worcestershire Sauce ½ tsp.
- Dijon Mustard - strong 1 Tbsp.
- White Onion, Oven Roasted (minced 1/16”) ½ cup
- Olive Oil 2 Tbsp.
- Cut the ends off the onions and peel off the outer skin, cut the onion in half and break apart the layers, toss the onion pieces in the olive oil and place on a sheet tray. Place in a 400-degree oven and roast until there is some charring and caramelization. Remove from the oven and chill.
- Mince the onion. Mix all ingredients together until completely incorporated. Transfer and store refrigerated until needed.
This video was taken on the covered outdoor space at the Conner Homes luxury community in Kirkland, Heron. Learn more about the community here.
Happy cooking, and cheers from all of us at Conner Homes.